Under Construction: Route 419 Safety Improvements at Tanglewood
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
- Drivers can expect shoulder closures throughout the duration of the project.
- During nighttime hours, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., traffic may be reduced to one lane on southbound Route 419 (Electric Road) between Ogden Road and the Route 220 Expressway on-ramp.
- Access to some businesses with nighttime hours may be modified at times.
- South Peak Boulevard to Wendy’s and Hilton Garden Inn may be impacted during nighttime hours for several nights. Flaggers will direct drivers to an alternate entrance while the main entrance of Wendy’s is closed. More details will be made available once work in this area begins.
- VDOT will be coordinating with local business owners to minimize impacts.
Public outreach ►
The primary purpose of this project is to alleviate congestion and provide for safer pedestrian and bike accommodations along Route 419 in front of Tanglewood Mall. The addition of a third lane along southbound Route 419 will help alleviate the heavy traffic congestion by extending this third lane until it ties to the Route 220 south exit ramp. Sidewalks and bike lanes will be added along with appropriate crosswalks at the upgraded signals that will facilitate bike and pedestrian movement throughout this corridor. Transit improvements include combining the bus stops along southbound Route 419 into one major stop with a public bus shelter in front of the Copper Croft Apartments.
For more information regarding traffic impacts and the phases of construction, please review the following presentation:
Route 419 Pardon Our Dust Presentation
- Constructing a third lane along southbound Route 419/Electric Road between Ogden Road and the Route 220 Expressway on ramp
- Adding crosswalks with pedestrian signals at three signalized intersections: Ogden Road and Route 419, Elm View Road and Route 419 and South Peak Boulevard and Route 419
- Designated bike lanes on Route 419 in both directions
- Adding sidewalks along northbound Route 419 and along southbound between Ogden Road and the Wendy’s restaurant
- Combining the bus stops along southbound Route 419 into one major stop with a public bus shelter in front of the Copper Croft Apartments
- New pavement and road markings
- Retaining wall will be constructed in the vicinity of the Route 220 Expressway southbound exit ramp
This project will alleviate congestion and provide for safer pedestrian and bike accommodation along Route 419 in front of Tanglewood Mall. It will include the addition of a third lane along southbound Route 419, adding sidewalks and bike lanes as well as transit improvements.