In Design: Route 33 at Route 29, Greene County
The purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection of Route 33 (Spotswood Trail) and Route 29 (Seminole Trail) in Greene County. Improvements include a raised median with crossovers and additional lanes at the Route 29 intersection.
Route 33 will be widened on the east side of Route 29 to provide two left turn lanes for traffic turning onto southbound Route 29. An additional through lane will also be provided for westbound traffic crossing Route 29. Bicycle lanes and concrete sidewalk will also be included.
These improvements are anticipated to reduce congestion during peak commuting hours and reduce the trend of rear-end crashes. The dual left turn lanes are also anticipated to prevent traffic queues from blocking the Moore Road / Jennings Loop intersection.
To reduce the trend of angle ("T-Bone" crashes), the project will also include:
- Construction of a raised median along Route 33 between Route 29 and Moore Road.
- Minor re-alignment of Moore Road and Jennings Loop to provide a single full access intersection.
Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2022 and will take about two years. Periodic lane closures will be required. Moore Road is anticipated to be temporarily closed for 14 days during construction.
The purpose of this project is to improve safety and traffic flow at the intersection of Route 33 (Spotswood Trail) and Route 29 (Seminole Trail) in Greene County. I
Public hearing: April 5, 2018
Public comment period ends: April 15, 2018
Right of way acquisition and utility relocation: Late summer 2019
Construction begins: Winter 2022
Construction completion: Late fall 2023
Other relevant links:
SMART SCALE scorecard (235 KB)
Public Hearing Materials (April 5, 2018):
Project Displays (As of Feb. 27, 2018)*:
- Route 33 Improvements (4 MB)
- Jennings Loop Access (1 MB)
- Moore Road Detour (3 MB)
- Typical Sections (116 KB)
* The alternative right-in, right-out design display for Route 33 at Moore Road was removed from this section because it will not be constructed as part of this project based on feedback received at the public hearing.
Phase: In Design
State ID: 0033-039-587, P201, R201, C501
Federal ID: STIP-039-7(015)
Lat/Long: 38.233293, -78.369357