VDOT News - Statewide
Jenny O’Quinn 804-357-6017
Jeff Stapleton 804-371-6026
Nov. 15, 2018
VDOT WILL LIFT LANE CLOSURES DURING THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
Get to family and friends quicker and safer by preparing before you go
RICHMOND, Va. – Do you have plans to travel for Thanksgiving? Planning ahead for your trip may mean more time with family during the long weekend.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will suspend most highway work zones and lift most lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia from noon Wednesday, Nov. 21, until noon Monday, Nov. 26.
While lane closures will be lifted in most areas, motorists may encounter semi-permanent work zones that remain in place during this time. A full listing of those lane closures can be found on VDOT’s website.
Travel Trends Map Helps Predict Peak Congestion
VDOT’s online, interactive travel-trends map (right) shows peak congestion periods on Virginia interstates during previous Thanksgiving holidays. While it can’t precisely predict when congestion will occur this year, it can help you plan travel around those times when roads have historically been busiest.
Based on the traffic data, periods of heavy congestion was most likely to occur from mid-morning to evening on Wednesday and Sunday. In addition, routes to/from Northern Virginia are likely to be congested mid-morning to evening on Tuesday as well as on Saturday.
Put Safety First
What you do impacts others. Do your part in making travel safer for all:
- If you plan to drink, have a designated driver
- Buckle up
- Keep your eyes on the road
- Take a break if you are drowsy
- Don’t drive distracted, and speak up if someone else is doing so
Real-time Information Traffic Info Is At Your Fingertips:
VDOT’s 511 app offers information about construction, traffic, incidents and congestion as well as access to traffic cameras, weather and more. The free mobile VDOT 511 app is available online. Traffic information is also available at 511Virginia.org, or by calling 511 from any phone.
To report a road problem or get answers to your transportation questions, call VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) around the clock.
Northern Virginia High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Schedule and Other Information:
- HOV restrictions on I-66 will be lifted on Thursday, Nov. 22.
- Go online to find directional schedules for the reversible 95 Express Lanes.
Hamptonn Roads HOV Schedule, Tunnels and Other Information:
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV diamond lanes: HOV restrictions and Express Lane tolls will be lifted on Thursday, Nov. 22.
- I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) – Local traffic to Virginia Beach is encouraged to use the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) as an alternative to the HRBT. If traveling to Virginia Beach, take I-664 south to the MMMBT. Then take the Portsmouth/Norfolk exit (exit 15A) to I-264 east to Virginia Beach.
- Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) – Tune to 1680 AM to stay informed on Hampton Roads traffic, travel conditions and construction information.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.