VDOT News - Statewide
Jenni McCord 571-230-2926
Shannon N. Marshall 804-371-6844
March 5, 2018
DRIVERS ASKED TO AVOID TRAVEL ON I-95 IN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY MONDAY
Consider telework, alternate routes and transit options for morning and evening commutes
8:30 p.m. Update: VDOT has been advised that the sign has been removed; VDOT crews are working to reopen all lanes within the hour. 95 Express Lanes will operate on a regular schedule Monday morning.
DALE CITY, Va. – All southbound general purpose lanes on Interstate 95 remain closed at the Prince William Parkway (Exit 158A), and the closure will potentially remain through Monday, March 5.
I-95 drivers are asked to be aware of the following:
- Southbound I-95 is being diverted onto the 95 Express Lanes, where tolls are currently suspended.
- By about 6 a.m. Monday, the 95 Express Lanes will open northbound with tolling in place. Southbound I-95 traffic should follow signed detours.
- Following the morning rush hour, the 95 Express Lanes will open to southbound traffic around 10:30 a.m. for the duration of the day. If the southbound general purpose lanes are still closed, 95 Express Lanes’ tolls will be suspended.
- On I-395, High Occupancy Vehicle 3 rules remain in place for both rush hours.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) encourages drivers to plan for major impacts in both directions by taking alternate routes, carpooling, vanpooling, riding transit, teleworking or staying at home.
The section of interstate was closed for safety on Friday, March 2, when the 140-foot-tall, privately owned Potomac Mills shopping center sign began leaning in extremely high winds.
VDOT continues to support road closures for the mall’s removal of the sign that is adjacent to the interstate, and remains on standby to re-open lanes as soon as it is safely removed. Work by the mall is contingent on safe wind levels for crane contractors.
Until the sign is safely removed, the following closures also remain in place:
- The ramps from Prince William Parkway as well as southbound Route 123 to southbound I-95
- The southbound I-95 Express Lanes ramp to Dale Boulevard
- Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway and Opitz Boulevard
While the sign is not owned or maintained by the Commonwealth, VDOT, along with the Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative, Virginia State Police and Prince William County Police are partnering to support the operation.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.