Traffic Signal Brackets
Virginia Department of Transportation Special Provision for Mast Arm Signal Hanger Assembly, STD SM-3 and STD SMD-2
Issued July 12, 2016
The Special Provision, Virginia Department of Transportation Special Provision for Mast Arm Signal Hanger Assembly, STD SM-3 and STD SMD-2, was issued on July 12, 2016, and may appear in contracts as published on the Virginia Department of Transportation's website beginning on that date.
This Special Provision specifically addresses statewide requirements for the use of Traffic Signal, or Traffic Sign brackets.
Significant changes to previous specifications:
- An alternating pattern for bolt tightening is required, if a bolt tightening pattern is not specified in the manufacturer installation instructions.
- If a main mount with fully tightened bolts requires adjustment that necessitates loosening of the main mount bolts, cables shall be replaced at no additional cost to the Department.
- Whenever a Mast Arm Hanger Assembly is relocated, new cables must be installed.
- New torque wrench and calibration requirements are provided.
- The Mast Arm Hanger Assembly may be attached to the mast arm and all bolts tightened to final tightness on the ground-before lifting and placing the mast arm onto the signal pole.
- New reporting requirements are provided.
- A new warranty period is specified.
- New pay items are specified.
VDOT Construction Webpage Link to the Mast Arm Signal Hanger Assembly, STD SM-3 and STD SMD-2 Special Provision:
Click on Revisions to 2016 Road and Bridge Specifications and then WinZip format file.
The special provision number is: SP703-000100-00.
Note: This does not have an Excel formatted Mast Arm Bracket Installation Report Form
Link to an Excel format Mast Arm Bracket Installation Report Form
Below is a link to the Mast Arm Bracket Installation Report Form.
Directions for submitting traffic signal bracket installation data:
For each mast arm hanger assembly or component installed, the Contractor shall report the required information on the above linked Mast Arm Bracket Installation Report form to the Engineer. The form shall be submitted electronically to the Department’s email at hangerassemblies@VDOT.virginia.gov.
Hard copy submission shall not substitute for submitting the Mast Arm Bracket Installation Report by email. The report shall be submitted by hard copy and electronically within seven business days of mast arm hanger assembly installation.
You may maintain a running tabulation of brackets installed on the Mast Arm Bracket Installation Report spreadsheet. This means that you do not need to delete any brackets (that were previously installed and submitted) from your initial list. You can simply add new brackets to the end of your list and resubmit the entire list.
By submitting the report, the Contractor certifies that the mast arm hanger assembly installation was accomplished in strict conformance with this Special Provision.
Reporting will not be measured for separate payment, but will be considered incidental to the mast arm hanger assembly pay item.
For questions or technical support, call or email Laura Petrella at 804-786-1222, email@example.com.